6 Minutes Walk Test (6MWT)
The six-minute walk test (6MWT) measures the distance an individual is able to walk over a total of six minutes on a hard, flat surface. The goal is for the individual to walk as far as possible in six minutes. The individual is allowed to self-pace and rest as needed as they traverse back and forth along a marked walkway.
- To evaluate cardiovascular and respiratory disease
- To assess functional capacity and evaluate undiagnosed exercise intolerance
- To predict mortality and morbidity in specific patient groups
- To evaluate unexplained dyspnoea and disproportionate symptoms to resting tests
- To assess and aid prescription for oxygen therapy.
- To evaluate response to therapy / intervention